Sunday, September 20, 2020
Home Global Sailor questioned over fire aboard USS Bonhomme Richard

Sailor questioned over fire aboard USS Bonhomme Richard

(CNN)A US sailor is being questioned over the possibility that they may have intentionally set a fire that caused extensive damage to the USS Bonhomme Richard at Naval Base San Diego last month, two US defense officials told CNN.

“There is a potential suspect,” one official said, emphasizing no one has been charged and the investigation continues. The Navy declined to comment on an active investigation.
The blaze aboard the billion-dollar Navy warship was extinguished after raging for four days. The ship had been docked in San Diego for maintenance when the fire broke out. Sailors were beginning to fight the fire when a subsequent explosion caused the vessel to be evacuated.
The Bonhomme Richard is designed to support Marine Corps operations. It can transport Marines and equipment for a Marine expeditionary unit and land them in hostile territory via landing craft or helicopters, as well as provide air support by helicopters or attack aircraft.
The amphibious assault ship was being upgraded to accommodate some of the newest and most sophisticated warplanes in the US arsenal, Marine Corps F-35Bs.
It was to be one of only four ships in the US fleet with the ability to handle the F-35Bs. For now, the USS America — a newer version of the amphibious assault ship capable of deploying F-35s — is filling in for the Bonhomme Richard, operating out of the US Navy base in Sasebo, Japan.
“As tensions mount with China in the South China Sea, as well as with North Korea, the loss of this ship and her capabilities will make it more difficult for the Navy to meet all its war-fighting requirements,” CNN military analyst John Kirby said last month.
Still, despite all the problems the fire has created, Kirby said they can be overcome.
“My goodness, if our strategy in any given part of the world hinges on the availability of one particular ship, well, we’ve got much bigger fish to fry,” Kirby said.

3 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Real begin with rivals Barca in turmoil

Zinedine Zidane is in his second spell as Real Madrid manager, while Ronald Koeman took over at Barcelona during the summerChampions Real Madrid kick off their new campaign on Sunday with a trip to Real Sociedad and, with Barcelona in disarray, Zinedine Zidane's men are odds-on favourites to retain the title.But the big two are…

Where will Jota fit in at Liverpool?

Portugal forward Diogo Jota has signed a five-year deal with LiverpoolIt was a transfer that came virtually from nowhere.Just days after the rumours first started to surface, Liverpool have added to their attacking options with the signing of Diogo Jota from Wolverhampton Wanderers in a deal worth up to £45m.With Liverpool already boasting one of…

‘Stakes sky high for Mourinho in Bale deal’

Jose Mourinho's handling of his players has been visible for all to see in Amazon Prime's 'All or Nothing' documentaryJose Mourinho has turned the clock back in an attempt to get his Tottenham Hotspur tenure moving into the future with Gareth Bale returning to the club he left in 2013.This is a crucial moment in…

Bexar County, San Antonio report 173 new COVID-19 cases – KSAT San Antonio

Sign up for our NewslettersLatest News10 less people in ICU; no new deaths reportedFILE - In this Aug. 14, 2020, file photo, medical personnel administer COVID-19 testing at a drive-thru site in San Antonio. The number of Americans newly diagnosed with the coronavirus is falling a development experts credit at least partly to increased wearing…