Friday, September 18, 2020
Home Europe Beirut explosion: 'No signs of life' in search for blast survivors

Beirut explosion: ‘No signs of life’ in search for blast survivors

Published

image copyrightReuters

image captionA sensor machine detected possible signs of life on Thursday

Rescuers in Beirut have found “no sign of life” in the rubble of a building destroyed in last month’s massive port explosion, dashing hopes that someone could be rescued alive.

A sensor machine detected possible signs of life on Thursday, but after clearing 95% of the rubble workers have not found the source of the reading.

About 50 volunteers, including a team from Chile, have been at the scene.

The blast killed about 190 people and left thousands of others injured.

Crowds gathered at the building located between the residential districts of Gemmayze and Mar Mikhael, hoping for a miracle.

What’s the latest with the search?

A team of rescuers from Chile were walking through the area on Wednesday night when their sniffer dog gave a sign that there was a person inside.

When they returned on Thursday, the dog again gave the same signal. Specialist sensor equipment then detected a pulsing signal in the area.

Breathing was detected under the rubble at a depth of 3m (9.8ft).

media captionThe BBC’s Carine Torbey is at the scene where rescuers are continuing to search after reports that a heartbeat was detected

They continued to remove the rubble on Saturday, clearing much of it by hand. However they have still not located the source of the sensor reading.

In a news conference on Saturday, Francisco Lermanta, head of volunteer rescue group Topos Chile, said: “Technically speaking, there are no signs of life.”

He told reporters that signs of life recorded over the past two days were the breaths of volunteers working inside the building.

Efforts will now focus on clearing the rubble and looking for remains, he said.

“We never stop with even one percent of hope,” he said. “We never stop until the job is done”.

media captionA candle vigil was among the events held to mark one month since the explosion in Beirut

Civil defence officer Qassem Khatersaid his team would not give up.

“We are not leaving the site until we’ve finished going through the rubble, even if a new building collapse threatens,” he said.

According to Lebanese officials, seven people are still missing following the blast.

Beirut held a minute’s silence on Friday, marking a month since the explosion which happened when 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate detonated.

More on the explosion in Beirut

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Australian footballer awarded ‘landmark’ disability payout

Publishedduration2 hours agoimage copyrightGetty Imagesimage captionShaun Smith, 51, was a high-flying Aussie rules footballer in the 1990sA former Australian Rules football player has been awarded a A$1.4m (£0.8m; $1m) insurance payout for brain damage suffered from match concussions.Shaun Smith, who was a prominent player in the 1980s and 1990s, had said he could no longer…

China holds drill as US envoy visits Taiwan

Image copyright Getty Images Image caption A file photo of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army warship China says it is conducting military exercises near the Taiwan Strait to "protect its sovereignty" even as a top US official visits Taiwan.The live-fire drills come amid rising tensions between Beijing and Washington, and as the US moves to…

Friday’s gossip column

Liverpool have enquired about Ismaila Sarr and discussed his situation with Watford, who want £36m for the 22-year-old Senegal striker. (Mail) external-linkSarr has been identified by Manchester United as an alternative option if their move for Borussia Dortmund and England winger Jadon Sancho fails. (Independent)external-linkManchester United are considering moves for Inter Milan's Croatia winger Ivan…

Fantasy football tips for gameweek two

Are you planning on bringing Bruno back?There is nothing normal about the Premier League at the moment, but Manchester City and Manchester United both missing out in the first week of fixtures threw another spanner in the works for many fantasy football managers.Did you pick players from the two clubs anyway and just have them…