Sunday, November 29, 2020
Home Science Microsoft held talks to buy Bungie - report - Eurogamer.net

Microsoft held talks to buy Bungie – report – Eurogamer.net

Microsoft and Bungie have held acquisition talks, according to a new report which Eurogamer’s own sources can corroborate.

The Destiny and former Halo developer has been fully independent since it departed its previous publishing deal with Activision last year.

Speaking on the GamesBeat podcast, Venturebeat’s Jeff Grubb said he had heard Microsoft and Bungie had been in discussions – although the two companies had not been able to agree on a sale price.

I’ve independently heard these talks have taken place, driven on Bungie’s side by a desire to raise new funds for the studio, its projects and staff.

The veteran studio recently committed to a new three-year development plan for Destiny 2, while quietly incubating ideas for its future – something previously boosted by a $100m injection from Chinese publisher NetEase.

But Bungie does not come cheap – something Activision found out over its own partnership with the Destiny maker, and one of the reasons that publisher was eventually happy to walk away. I understand Microsoft has not yet been able to agree on its asking price.

This content is hosted on an external platform, which will only display it if you accept targeting cookies. Please enable cookies to view.

Of course, any potential acquisition by Microsoft would mark a homecoming for Bungie. Before Destiny, Bungie was renowned for its work on the Halo series, which quickly became Xbox’s flagship franchise, and which has faced mixed fortunes since.

Microsoft originally bought Bungie back in 2000, while it was midway through development of Halo: Combat Evolved for the original Xbox. Four sequels followed, though the two companies had already split by the time 2009’s Halo 3: ODST released. 2010’s Halo: Reach marked Bungie’s swansong for the franchise it helped create, and the beginning of a four year release hiatus for the studio, before the first Destiny was released in 2014.

This November, Destiny 2 will kick off its fourth year, a little later than planned, with the arrival of new expansion Beyond Light on current and next-gen consoles. Since its departure from Activision, Bungie has dropped its previous arrangement where parts of each new Destiny game and expansion were released on PlayStation platforms first – a long-time bugbear for Xbox owners.

Then, in July this year, Bungie and Microsoft announced the forthcoming Beyond Light would launch straight onto Xbox Game Pass, marking a new cosying up of the two companies. Destiny 2 and its current expansions Forsaken and Shadowkeep are also now available via Microsoft’s subscription service.

I’ve contacted Microsoft and Bungie for comment.

Read More

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Ryder Cup 2010

McDowell knew the Twenty Ten course like the back of his hand. He’d won the Wales Open on the course that year and during a period when he lived in Cardiff he used the venue as his practice area.As the match descended into the home stretch McDowell sunk a 15-foot birdie to go 2-up on…

GB’s Evans calls opponents ’embarrassing’

Evans was knocked out in the singles in the first round by Kei Nishikori of JapanBritain's Dan Evans said his doubles opponents were "embarrassing" after becoming involved in an on-court row at the French Open.The British singles number one and Polish partner Hubert Hurkacz beat Dutchman Matwe Middelkoop and Brazilian Marcel Demoliner in the first…

US team walks off after ‘homophobic slur’

Collin Martin (pictured playing for former club Minnesota United) came out as gay in 2018Landon Donovan said his San Diego Loyal "would not stand" for bigotry having left the pitch in protest after an alleged homophobic comment was aimed at openly gay midfielder Collin Martin.An opposition player from Phoenix Rising was accused of making the…

As colleges reopened, many more young people got covid-19, CDC reports – msnNOW

Covid-19 cases surged nationally among 18- to 22-year-olds between Aug. 2 and Sept. 5, according to a report released Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which urged young adults as well as colleges and universities to take precautions to prevent the spread of the virus.Weekly cases among the age group jumped 55…